MAN-MADE DISASTERS CAN LEAVE US VULNERABLE, EVEN DEAD
Man-made disasters or natural disasters occur when a condition exists that exceeds a person or places ability to survive it.
While it is difficult to compete with the devastation Mother Nature can produce, it seems at times that we do our best to try. Most events don´t start out as disasters. When things go wrong they have a tendency to accelerate and accumulate. A fuse blows and next thing you know your house is in flames and falling down around you.
INCONVENIENCE TO EMERGENCY TO DISASTER...A SLIPPERY SLOPE It’s easy to go from a minor inconvenience such as an electrical outage to an emergency, the water doesn’t work because the pump operates on electricity, to a disaster, contaminated water is the only choice to quench your thirst and sickness is the result and you are at risk, right in front of our eyes, the result of:
- lack of forethought,
- lack of preparation,
- lack of a plan,
- sometimes just bad luck.
WE HAVE WREAKED HAVOC ON OURSELVES IN A VARIETY OF WAYS – SOME EXAMPLES Here are some man-made disasters and drinking water related calamities:
Not all of the above lead to what we normally think of as a disaster. The disaster may not be a one time calamity but a long drawn out weakening of our health and society. Either way you need to make an effort to protect yourself and those who depend on you.
- One of the best publicized man-made disasters was in the city of Milwaukee in 1993. 400,000 people became ill from drinking water that, dispite processing, contained the deadly parasite cyptosporidium. 104 peole died as a result.
- In the US, 10,000 violations of EPA regulations regarding municipal water treatment are reported annually.
- A study by the Medical College of Wisconsin and the US EPA concluded that about 7.1 million Americans suffer nausea or diarrhea as a result of drinking contaminated water.
- As many as 1200 Americans die each year as a result of drinking contaminated water.
- A study in USAToday by Peter Eisler states that about 40,000 of the 170,000 water systems surveyed and serving 58 million people violated Federal, State or Municipal guidelines and purity standards. About 9,500 water systems serving 25 million people had significant violations (defined by the EPA as a most serious threat to health).
- Many of the municipal water systems date back to the Lincoln era and are in various states of disrepair. 200,000 water main breaks occur on an average every year.
- Throughout the US, 2100 different types of toxins have been found in Us water supplies.
- A study be the Environmental working group studied water quality in 29 major cities. Water in all 29 cities had traces of weed killer.
- Reearchers from the US EPA and the National Geographic Survey have found traces of antibiotics, birth control drugs, antidepressants, and even caffeine in water samples taken across the country.
CHLORINE IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR CHICKENS
Chlorine has been one of the most used water disinfectants in recent times. Chlorine and chlorine byproducts are being found to have disasterous effects on our health.
Because of it´s widespread use we´ve devoted a page to the effects of chlorine on our health.
THE WATER YOU DRINK MAY NOT BE AS SAFE AS YOU THINK
We’ve found that the most efficient, cost effective, low maintenance, longest lasting system of water treatment is a gravity fed water purification system.. It’s what we use and recommend for you and your loved ones.
Visit the 911Water Water Filter Products Section for the finest selection of water treatment systems.
We feature Water filter products from Berkey, British Berkefeld, Clearbrook.
||Visit the 911water Emergency Products section for the largest selection of kits and prodcuts to keep you and your loved ones safe during an emergency. |
You can depend on our complete line of Emergency Preparation Products from Quakekare to keep you and your loved ones safe and protected at home, while on the road, in your office or while enjoying the great outdoors.