Big Berkey Water Filter System
The Big Berkey water filter system removes 99.999% of viruses, 99.99999% of bacteria and other microbiological organism, removes most chemicals to BDL (Below Detectable Limits), and removes 99.99% of lead and other heavy metals.
Great Tasting Drinking Water EverydayMost people like to drink water, they just don't like the taste of it. Once you drink water from a Berkey you will love drinking water again, because it tastes great!
Berkey Water for Your Health
For generations, health-conscious people around the world have recognized that the foundation to a healthy life and healthy body is clean, fresh drinking water. This important essential element is the basis for enjoying your longest, healthiest life. No amount of vitamins or supplements can substitute for the vital life-sustaining properties found in nourishing, healthful drinking water. It is truly the foundation of life.
Drinking water is vital to your health and wellness. Nutritionists say that the average human should consumer at least 3-5 glasses of water every day, and that clean, chemical-free water contributes to the health of your digestive system, immune system, heart health, brain health, better memory, faster healing, and host of other factors.
Unfortunately, securing your access to good tasting, sparkling, wholesome drinking water can be harder than you might expect. Water is often laced with chlorine, lead, high levels of harmful bacteria, and other unwanted chemicals and contaminants. These contaminants frequently produce unpleasant tastes and odors. Even bottled water can contain these same contaminants. Other filtration systems are inferior. Most do not remove pathogenic bacteria and many remove the beneficial minerals that your body needs.
Perhaps that is why Berkey Water Filter systems have long been recognized as the ultimate in water purification. This simple, highly effective method of using gravity was developed almost 200 years ago... yet it still produces some of the finest, most healthful drinking water available.
Great for Emergencies Preparation
Since the Big Berkey Filter System does not use electricity, it will work just as well in a power outage as a result of an earthquake or hurricane as it always does. The Big Berkey Water Filter system; your good health, the welfare of those you care for, being prepared for an emergency or concern for the environment, you will feel like you’ve made a wise consumer choice.
Big Berkey - the Size for Small Families
Big Berkey has a storage capacity of 2.1 gallons and can filter up to 3.5 gallons per hour of safe drinking water. This, along with its compact dimensions, makes it ideal for small families.
Weight: 8 pounds
Big Berkey- Help Your Wallet & The Environment
The Big Berkey can help you reduce your carbon footprint by eliminating the need to buy disposable bottled water. Disposable bottles are extremely bad for the environment. It requires 1.5 million tons of oil to manufacture the bottles used every year in the US, 85% of which are not recycled and end up in landfills. Since they are not biodegradable they last virtually forever, polluting the environment. By using water from your Berkey to fill a Re-useable Water Bottle, you can save hundreds of dollars and help the environment.
Black Berkey Filter
The Big Berkey comes with two Black Berkey Filters. Black Berkey filters have been tested and remove bacteria, chemicals, heavy metals and bad tastes and odors.
Long-lasting Water Filters
Each Black Berkey filter is rated to last for 3,000 gallons or more, which means a set will filter 6,000 gallons or more, although heavily contaminated water would result in shorter filter life. I.e. swamp water, filthy river water or heavily chlorinated water. Chlorination levels vary greatly from area to area and may vary daily in the same water system. Filtering cleaner water, such as clear lake or stream water, snow or rain results in longer filter use.
Many Berkey customers will purchase one or more spare set of filter elements.
Berkeys Used Around the World
Berkey Water Filter systems have been used by hundreds and thousands of customers around the world, including missionaries, campers, home owners, emergency agencies and government disaster relief.
Assembles in less than 10 minutes and with no tools!
- Remove the filter elements and parts from their protective packaging, checking each item against the diagram. Note: The number of filter elements supplied will depend on the type of unit ordered:
- Standard Berkey: 4 Filter Elements
- Big Berkey: 4 Filter Elements
- Imperial Berkey: 6 Filter Elements
- Crown Berkey: 8 Filter Elements
- Extreme cleanliness is important. Wash hands before proceeding. Assure that contamination of the components does not take place during assembly.
- Fit the knob (1) onto the lid (2) by inserting the screw (3) up through the hole in the lid and screwing on the knob. Hand tighten only.
- Place the large sealing washer (10) over the threaded part of the filter element (5).
- Place the element (5) into the hole in the base of the upper chamber (4).
- Secure element in the chamber base by screwing on the wing nut (11) onto the threaded mount. Repeat #5 & #6 until all filter elements have been installed. Hand tighten only.
- Place one small washer (8) onto the threaded part of the outlet spigot (7).
- Insert thread of spigot (7) through hole in the side of the lower chamber (6). Place the second small washer (8) over the thread within the chamber and secure in place with the nut (9). Tighten securely by hand only.
- Put the upper chamber (4) on top of the lower chamber (6) and place lid (2) in position.
Operating Your Berkey
- Make sure that the spigot (7) is in the "OFF" position.
- CONDITION FILTERS: Wipe the ceramic dust from the outer surfaces of the filter elements with a damp cloth. Fill upper chamber (4) fully with cold or room temperature water and cover with lid (2). Allow all water to gravity filter into lower chamber. Open the spigot to allow all water to run to waste. Allow filters to stand unused overnight. Refill upper chamber again with water and open spigot for two minutes and allow water to run to waste.
- The Berkey water filter is now ready to use.
Note: If the filters are left to stand for more than 3 days, then it is recommended that water be run to waste for 1 minute before using. When installing filter elements for the first time or replacing a used element with a new one, it is important to condition the new filters using the above procedure.