Berkey Light Water Filter System
2.75 Gallon Gravity-Fed Water Filter System with Black Berkey Filter Elements
The powerful Berkey Light Water Filter System comes with two Black Berkey water filters that purify treated and untreated water alike. The clear plastic makes it easy to see the water level so you know when it's time to refill. It is BPA free and will not leach into the water.
Filters Water from Any Source
Will filter water from lakes, streams, stagnant ponds and water supplies in foreign countries, where regulations may be sub-standard at best. Perfect for everyday use and a must in hostile environments where electricity, water pressure or treated water may not be available
Plastic that doesn't taste bad
Berkey Light is made of a high impact strength, non BPA copolyester. It will not leach bad-tasting, unhealthy plasticizers into your water, and it doesn't retain bad tastes and odors from waterborne contaminants.
The powerful Berkey Light System is the most flexible water purifier available providing reliable, user friendly and economical water purification in any environment. The Berkey Light System is a true gravity fed "purifier". Below is an explanation of the difference between "Purification" and "Pathogenic removal":
To claim Pathogenic bacterial "removal" one must demonstrate: 99.99% reduction. To claim "purification" one must demonstrate: 99.99999% reduction. The Berkey Light has demonstrated: 99.9999999% reduction.
In fact, we tested the Berkey Light System with the maximum pathogenic contamination levels that can be produced in a laboratory. When contamination levels exceed one billion pathogens per liter of water (10,000 times the density of contamination used in the standard test protocol for bacteriological removal) they become too numerous to count (TNTC). Such contamination levels are referred to as "lawn growth". Under normal testing protocol; one pathogenic organism is tested at a time. However, we had the laboratory mix together a soup of three separate pathogenic lawn growth cultures. We then tested the system under this extreme contamination level and absolutely no pathogens were able to make it through the purification elements. We then had the laboratory incubate the water and nothing grew. We then had them view the effluent (filtered water) under an electron microscope and not even in-viable (dead) microbes were detectable. Nothing was present but pure H2O. The revolutionary Berkey Light System's self-sterilizing and re-cleanable filters purify water by removing pathogenic bacteria, cysts and parasites entirely and by extracting harmful chemicals such as herbicides, pesticides, VOCs, organic solvents, radon 222 and trihalomethanes. They also reduce nitrates, nitrites, and unhealthy minerals such as lead and mercury. In fact, this purifier is so powerful, it can remove food coloring from water without removing the beneficial minerals that your body needs, which, to our knowledge, no other domestic filtration system can duplicate.
Weight : 5 pounds
Length : 12"
Width : 9"
Berkey Light Benefits
- Healthy: The Berkey Light is far superior to other filters because it removes harmful pathogenic bacteria, cysts and parasites to non-detectable levels. It removes harmful or unwanted chemicals to below detectable levels, heavy metals and unhealthy minerals. Lead and mercury are reduced by more than 95% without removing the minerals your body needs. It's simply the most healthful, clean and delicious water available.
- Convenient: The Berkey Light assembles in minutes without tools, electricity, water pressure, or plumbing. What's more, it is simple to operate and maintain.
- Economical: The Berkey Light is easily one of the most economical water filtration systems you can own. Its unique design allows you to easily remove and clean the filter elements.
- Powerful: The Berkey Light is so power
- Flexible: The Berkey Light is so convenient and easy to use, you can take it anywhere: a vacation, hunting and camping trips, college dorms, boats, RVs etc.
- Elegant: The Berkey Light is made of durable Lexan, the same material used to make bullet proof glass, which is durable, rugged and yet very attractive.
- Ambient: The Berkey Light's optional eight LED lamps are bright enough to provide a long-lasting low energy source of emergency light, a camping light, and a beacon for water in no or low-light conditions. What's more, the lower chamber acts like an echo chamber creating the delightful and relaxing sounds of falling rain drops. The waves reflect soothing patterns of light onto the surrounding area. These lighting effects, along with the relaxing sound of raindrops, combine to produce a very compelling atmosphere.
How to Use the Berkey Light
To use, water is poured into the upper chamber. Gravity draws this water through the exclusive Black Berkey filter elements. Contaminants are captured on and within the micro-porous filter element and are separated from the water. Each durable and efficient elements can be cleaned with a toothbrush and last for up to 2,000 gallons. What's more, the unique Black Berkey filter elements are self -sterilizing. The filtered water then collects in the lower chamber where it can be drawn through the spigot.
Often it is desirable to refill the upper chamber while some of the water from the previous cycle remains in the lower chamber. With non transparent or opaque systems the upper chamber must be removed from the lower chamber. This is inconvenient and messy because water continues to drip from the filter elements as the user checks for water levels in the lower chamber. This is especially difficult in no or low light conditions. If the user does not check the water level there is a risk that the upper chamber will be overfilled and later cause the lower chamber to overflow. The Berkey Light solves this problem with its transparent design. The user is able to see the water level in both chambers at all times.
The system is joined together during use allowing the Berkey Light to be moved while it is filtering. This can be important when the Berkey Light is used in an area for food preparation and later needed in a dining area. The system can also be disjoined for cleaning, maintenance and transport etc.
Assembles in less than 10 minutes and with no tools!
- Remove the filter elements and parts from their protective packaging, checking each item against the diagram. Note: The number of filter elements supplied will depend on the type of unit ordered:
- Standard Berkey: 4 Filter Elements
- Big Berkey: 4 Filter Elements
- Imperial Berkey: 6 Filter Elements
- Crown Berkey: 8 Filter Elements
- Extreme cleanliness is important. Wash hands before proceeding. Assure that contamination of the components does not take place during assembly.
- Fit the knob (1) onto the lid (2) by inserting the screw (3) up through the hole in the lid and screwing on the knob. Hand tighten only.
- Place the large sealing washer (10) over the threaded part of the filter element (5).
- Place the element (5) into the hole in the base of the upper chamber (4).
- Secure element in the chamber base by screwing on the wing nut (11) onto the threaded mount. Repeat #5 & #6 until all filter elements have been installed. Hand tighten only.
- Place one small washer (8) onto the threaded part of the outlet spigot (7).
- Insert thread of spigot (7) through hole in the side of the lower chamber (6). Place the second small washer (8) over the thread within the chamber and secure in place with the nut (9). Tighten securely by hand only.
- Put the upper chamber (4) on top of the lower chamber (6) and place lid (2) in position.
- Ensure that the spigot (7) is in the "OFF" position.
- CONDITION FILTERS:
Wipe the ceramic dust from the outer surfaces of the filter elements with a damp cloth. Fill upper chamber (4) fully with cold or room temperature water and cover with lid (2). Allow all water to gravity filter into lower chamber. Open the spigot to allow all water to run to waste. Allow filters to stand unused overnight. Refill upper chamber again with water and open spigot for two minutes and allow water to run to waste.
- The British Berkefeld ® water filter is now ready to use.
BPA Free! Note: If the filters are left to stand for more than 3 days, then it is recommended that water be run to waste for 1 minute before using. When installing filter elements for the first time or replacing a used element with a new one, it is important to condition the new filters using the above procedure.