Berkey Filter Assembly
Assembles in less than 10 minutes and with no tools!
- Remove the filter elements and parts from their protective packaging, checking each item against the diagram. Note: The number of filter elements supplied will depend on the type of unit ordered:
- Standard Berkey: 4 Filter Elements
- Big Berkey: 4 Filter Elements
- Imperial Berkey: 6 Filter Elements
- Crown Berkey: 8 Filter Elements
- Extreme cleanliness is important. Wash hands before proceeding. Assure that contamination of the components does not take place during assembly.
- Fit the knob (1) onto the lid (2) by inserting the screw (3) up through the hole in the lid and screwing on the knob. Hand tighten only.
- Place the large sealing washer (10) over the threaded part of the filter element (5).
- Place the element (5) into the hole in the base of the upper chamber (4).
- Secure element in the chamber base by screwing on the wing nut (11) onto the threaded mount. Repeat #5 & #6 until all filter elements have been installed. Hand tighten only.
- Place one small washer (8) onto the threaded part of the outlet spigot (7).
- Insert thread of spigot (7) through hole in the side of the lower chamber (6). Place the second small washer (8) over the thread within the chamber and secure in place with the nut (9). Tighten securely by hand only.
- Put the upper chamber (4) on top of the lower chamber (6) and place lid (2) in position.
Berkey Filter Care & Use Instructions
- Priming each Filter:
Before installing the filters, insert the end of the filter nozzle into the priming button and hold it upside down under gently running water with your hand wrapped around it to force the water into the filter backwards through the nozzle. Run water into the filter until you see water begin to come out in little beads or droplets all over on the surface of the filter. Priming the filter pushes air bubbles out of the filter that are trapped in the filter media so that water tension does not slow or stop the rate of filtration.
- Fill upper chamber (4) fully with cold or room temperature water and cover with lid (2). Allow all water to gravity filter into lower chamber. Open the spigot to allow all water to run to waste. Allow filters to stand unused overnight. Refill upper chamber again with water and open spigot for two minutes and allow water to run to waste.
- The Berkey water filter is now ready to use.
Note: If the filters are left to stand for more than 3 days, then it is recommended that water be run to waste for 1 minute before using. When installing filter elements for the first time or replacing a used element with a new one, it is important to condition the new filters using the above procedure.